Monday, August 18, 2014

Coconut Quinoa Granola Bars (Vegan, Vegetarian, Paleo, GF)

So I don't let Roo eat her school's "snacks" since they seem to think marshmallows and chocolate chips are an appropriate snack for toddlers…. But that's a story for another time! Every week or so I make her some snacks that are actually nutritional and not filled with preservatives and chemicals and crap. She's super into granola and granola bars, so naturally, I made her some for snack time this week! I doubled the batch and brought them in to my office to let my guinea pigs, er, co-workers give them a try. They were about 50/50 on if they liked the chocolate dipped version or the plain version best. If you know me at all, you know I preferred the chocolate dipped version!

Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup oats
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 coconut flakes (unsweetened)
1 cut nuts and dried fruit, optional (I used chopped almonds and raisins)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup raw honey
1 Tbl oil (I use coconut)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle oats, quinoa, and chia seeds on a cookie sheet and toast in hot oven for 8 minutes.
Place into a large bowl and add coconut, nuts, and dried fruit. In a medium saucepan, combine salt, peanut butter, honey, and oil. Bring to a boil over medium heat and take it off as soon as it starts to boil. Pour it over the oats mixture and stir until it is all evenly coated.
Pour into the greased baking dish and flatten it down until the top is flat. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Let cool for up to 2 hours and cut unto bars. If you prefer your granola bars sans chocolate… you seem boring, already. Just saying :P If you want chocolate on them, You'll need to also round up a spoonful of coconut oil and 2 handfuls of chocolate chips (real precise measurements, I know). Melt them together over low heat until smooth. Dip the bars into the chocolate and place chocolate side up on waxed paper. Let cool. Then you are ready to devour!!

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment