Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Quinoa Tater Tots

I got this recipe from my friend, Rachel, who is seriously such an inspiration to me. She recently lost 100 pounds by revamping her entire lifestyle. So, naturally, I really admire the changes she has made and she definitely keeps me focused on WHY we choose this lifestyle and what AMAZING benefits come from treating your body properly. Ok, enough gabbing... Here is my version of the insanely savory recipe for Quinoa Tater Tots!!
 
Ingredients:
2 c cooked quinoa (I had red on hand so that's what I used)
1 onion, very finely chopped
5 mushrooms, very finely chopped
3/4 c four (I had spelt flour on hand, or you can use a GF flour)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicier)
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp non-dairy milk (or whatever you have on hand)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Mix together the cooked quinoa, onion, mushrooms, flour, red pepper flakes and salt.  Keep mixing until it is totally combined and starts to get sticky.
Add the lemon juice and milk and mix again. It should be pretty sticky. If you need to add a splash more milk to get it to the proper consistency, do so- but be careful not to over do it!
Roll into small balls (I used the large end of a melon baller, but a mini ice cream scoop would work, too.) and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
Heat a small amount of oil in a large pan. Add the tots and brown on both sides. I found it helpful to smash them a little flatter to get a nice brown on them. It should take about 5 minutes per side.
These suckers are straight delicious... I couldn't stop eating them! They have the perfect mix of spicy and savory and crispy, but without the guilt that comes with fries or regular tater tots. This recipe is definitely going in my recipe box!
 
Happy Eating!!


No comments:

Post a Comment